Thursday, August 08, 2013

August 8 2013 - Photo Heavy :)


This is a favourite photo of my dear MIL Irene.  She raised 7 incredible children almost single handed. We are all praying that she has the strength to bounce back from these mini strokes. 

Our DD's FIL is fighting a cancer battle. I was asked to make him a quilt to keep him warm during and after treatments.  I was so happy that I was able to get Heather's help selecting the fabrics and design. It's Kansas Troubles in a rail fence setting.



Once again I had a hand in our local library's reading program quilt give away.  Shelley selected some fun fabrics, Irene B chose the pattern and I helped with the piecing as well as doing the quilting and binding. Shelley put on the label. the theme this year was Go! And the travel motifs in the fabrics was right on the mark.


Tis spring I was able to present Orion Star to our DD in her favourite shades of purple. this was a queen sized quilt made of 24 different shades of batiks. I loved the finished quilt and would have gladly kept it myself! Just kidding dear!

As some of you may be aware, southern Alberta suffered a horrific flood June, a few lives lost, many homes destroyed, lots of devastation. A local long arm business started Quilts for Calgary, with the intentions of giving a home crafted quilt to each family out of their homes. My schedule was crazy busy but I did raid my stash and drop off a bag of fabric to the cause. I also had a finished challenge quilt at home which we passed along to the mother of a friend who lost everything and was restarting. 

In January I signed up for a Pay It Forward challenge to give to five who promised in turn to give to five each and so one.  The gifts had to be handmade and being the over achiever that I am, I'm making...quilts! Crazy,eh? Oh well...that's me in a nutshell.

This was sent to my youngest participant. I used a Timeless Treasure Pomegranate roll with hot pink yardage. The design is called Summer in the Park by Missouri Star Quilt Company's Jenny Doan. If you have never seen her YouTube videos, you are missing out! She makes the most complicated design look doable by all.

I tried another online quilt rage, the Jelly Roll race. I used another collection of fabrics and absolutely hated it! Love the fabrics, it just didn't work in this design, so I unsewed for a lot longer than I wanted to. I am currently working on rescuing the fabric in another Summer in the Park layout.

I still wanted to do the jelly roll race so yesterday I raided my stash, cut my own strips and came up wi this.
I absolutely love it! The fabric makes or breaks it so choose wisely.

Well I think this is enough quilting news. I'll post again soon with family updates.

Be well!

No comments: