Friday, October 03, 2008

Not a good sign of the times

I was shocked to read about an entire dictionary staff getting laid off due to poor print sales. Apparently too many are using online sites.

Growing up in a small northern ON town, we lived by the dictionary. Our town was so small we didn't get a library until Centennial year. Whenever we came across a word we didn't know, Dad would tell us to pull out his big green word and we'd look things up. I can't tell how much such a book would have cost in 1957, but I'm sure it was substantial. I don't ever recall there being any dust on this book, it was used - by me anyways - almost constantly. I'm happy to say that I now have it on my bookshelf. But...sad news...it now has a thin layer of dust!


1 comment:

Pumpkin said...

It's sad really. Very sad :o(